- Whole Chicken – 1 big (approx 3 lbs or 1.5 kg)
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Medium Thick Coconut Milk – 1 cup
For Sauteing and Grinding
- Thinly Sliced Red Onions – 2 medium
- Minced Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Minced Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
- Chicken Masala Powder – 4 tbsp (Any brand like Eastern/Nirapara)
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tbsp (Alter according to your Spice Tolerance)
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Home Made Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut Oil – 3 tbsp
- Thinly Sliced Shallots (Kunjulli) – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Ginger – 1 tbsp
- Chopped Garlic – 1 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- Wash and clean the chicken thoroughly. Cut it into medium sized pieces. Soak it in water along with 1 tbsp lemon juice for 5 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a big pan and saute onions.
- Throw in the curry leaves and continue sauteing until the onions begin to brown. This will take some time.
- Reduce heat and add the minced ginger and garlic.
- Saute on medium-low heat until the onions have browned.
- Add turmeric, coriander, chilly, chicken masala, black pepper and garam masala powders.
- Stir fry for a minute or two on low heat and remove from stove top. Allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, grind everything along with 2 tbsp water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the chicken pieces and transfer everything back to the pan.
- Add salt to taste. Cover and cook the chicken for around 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally. The chicken will let out it’s own water as it gets cooked. If you need more gravy, you can add 1/2 to 1 cup of water.
- Reduce heat and add coconut milk. Open the pan and simmer the curry for 5 minutes so that the gravy thickens.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add thinly sliced shallots and curry leaves. Saute for a few minutes until the shallots begin to brown.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
- Pour this seasoning over the chicken curry. Remove from heat and keep it covered.